Skip to main content

Burns, Edward F., Jr., 1931-2019

 Person

biographical statement

Edward F. Burns, Jr. served the 18th District of Bucks County in the Pennsylvania House of Representative from 1973-1990. He was born on January 28, 1931 in Branchdale, Pennsylvania. He obtained his Bachelor’s Degree in history from LaSalle University in 1952 and his M.Ed. from Temple University in 1957. Before being elected to the House of Representatives, he taught in the Neshaminy School District from 1956-1972. He was also a school board member from 1970-1972, the Mayor of Bensalem for four years, and was in the US Naval Reserve from 1950-1991 during the Korean War. During his time in the House, Mr. Burns served on numerous committees, including the Education Committee from 1973-1990, in which he served as Sub-Committee Chair on Basic Education from 1979-1982 and Committee Chair from 1989-1990; the Mines and Energy Management Committee from 1977-1982; the State Government Committee from 1979-1982; the Local Government Committee from 1975-1976; the Law and Justice Committee from 1973-1974; the Health and Welfare Committee from 1977-1978; and the Consumer Affairs Committee from 1983-1990, where he served as chair of the committee from 1983-1988. Mr. Burns’ major legislative accomplishments include work on the Lemon Law Bill; the Bingo Bill [Act 67-1981]; amendments to the Public School Code, including retention of records; furlough of teachers; and general provisions relating to sick pay and compensation. Mr. Burns’ legislation named the Phacops Rana as Pennsylvania’s State Fossil [Act 138 of 1988].

Mr. Burns retired from the Legislature in 1990 and now resides in the Poconos.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Papers of Edward F. Burns, Jr., 1973-1990

 Collection
Identifier: 2006.008
Scope and Contents

This collection consists of newspaper clippings, campaign mailings and photographs.� A researcher interested in Mr. Burns or the topics in which he was involved should examine his Oral History Interview, which was conducted on May 25, 2006.

Dates: 1973 - 1990; Acquisition: 2008-01-05