Apollo Savings Bank
- Existence: 1871 - 1901
Organized and operated in Apollo, PA in an effort to help the borough’s people better manage and safeguard their money, the bank started after a meeting at Whitlinger’s Hall on May 16, 1871. Originally named “Apollo Savings Bank,” its first president, J.B. Chambers, and secretary, S.M. Jackson, were elected during the first meeting. The constitution and by-laws were drafted by Dr. William McBryar, S.M. Jackson and S.P. Townsend and on May 27, 1871, they were adopted. The first Board of Directors included J.B. Chambers, Samuel Jack, William McBryar, John Morrow, S.P. Townsend, James M. Kennedy, David Kepple, W.C. Bovard and Adam Maxwell.
The bank opened for business on August 7, 1871. Apollo Savings Bank operated as a private bank until 1895 when a state charter was obtained. In 1901 the bank changed its name to Apollo Trust Company.